You’ve probably heard of and tried smoothie shakes and smoothies, but there’s a new addition making its way to pre-workout snacks, breakfast tables, and on-the-go lunch ideas: the superfood energy bars. They are gluten-free, vegan, and rich in superfood ingredients, with a flavorful taste and amazing nutritional profile.
So join us as we go on to learn a simple recipe for the nut and seeds energy bars.
Superfood Energy Bar Ingredients
- Dried cranberries
- Dessicated coconut
- Maple syrup or agave
- Vanilla extract
- Melted coconut oil
- Sea salt
How to Make Superfood Energy Bars
Apart from the ingredients, an oven, a loaf baking pan, a food processor, and parchment paper are all you will need to prepare the superfood energy bars. Let’s view a step-by-step guide to the recipe — it’s easy!
- Preheat oven to 370°F and line an 8×8 inch baking pan or a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Blend the almonds in a food processor. Blend to break up the almonds while leaving behind a few chunky pieces to create the best texture.
- Transfer the mixture of nuts and seeds to a medium-sized bowl and mix in the cranberries, cinnamon, sea salt, and coconut flakes.
- Combine the additional ingredients in a separate bowl, including maple syrup, vanilla extract, and melted coconut oil. Pour the mixture over the nuts and seeds and continue mixing until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and use the back of a spatula to press it down evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes and let it cool down for 1 hour before cutting it into pieces.
- Once cooled, transfer it to a cutting board and cut into 8 energy bars.
- Serve, enjoy, and store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Are energy bars good for you?
Yes, energy bars are a great choice to be consumed as a mini meal or snack. They offer a balanced and healthy amount of protein and fiber and contain minimal sugars and saturated fats. Bonus points if you’re consuming a homemade superfood energy bar instead of a store-bought, processed alternative.
Can energy bars replace breakfast?
No, replacing breakfast with energy bars is not healthy. While superfood energy bars offer a decent nutritional value, consuming various foods offering all vitamins and minerals is essential.
Taking an energy bar before a morning workout or as a side item for lunch works well, but consuming it independently as a snack will not be fulfilling enough, and you might end up munching extra calories.
How often should you eat energy bars?
There are no particular rules on how often you can consume nuts and seeds energy bars. What matters is how you’re eating them. Are you using them as a replacement for breakfast? Are you pairing them with a balanced meal? Are you eating them before working out? Are you consuming them to fulfill midnight cravings?
They’re a great option to keep you energized before workouts, a healthy snack to satisfy late-night hunger pangs, and a perfect treat after lunch — the key is eating them carefully with a balanced meal plan that fulfills your body’s nutritional requirements.
Benefits of these Homemade Superfood Energy Bars
What makes the homemade superfood energy bars worthwhile enough to be added to your diet? Let’s find out.
- The recipe is customizable, which means you can eliminate and substitute ingredients to create results that adapt to the preferences of your taste buds.
- These bars provide the required energy to keep you fresh and invigorated throughout your workouts.
- The seeds offer high amounts of fiber to promote regular bowel movements and balance cholesterol levels.
- The amazing texture of nuts paired with the natural sweetness of maple syrup creates a deliciously chewy treat.
- The ingredients comprise many superfood goodies, making the energy bars a great snack.
Substitutions and Variations
Some fun ways to tailor the recipe are to replace:
- Almonds with pistachios, pecans, or walnuts.
- Cranberries with dried cherries or goji berries.
- Coconut flakes with coconut extract.
You can also top the energy bars with chocolate chips or melted dark chocolate before serving.
Create magic in the kitchen with the delicious superfood energy bars — and don’t forget to share the treat with your family and friends!
Superfood Energy Bars
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup popped quinoa
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Pulse the almonds in a food processor. Add them to a bowl
- Preheat the ove to 325 degrees F or 160 degrees celsius and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- To the bowl with almonds add the seeds along with the cinnamon, sea salt and coconut . Give it a stir.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the maple syrup, vanilla extract and melted coconut oil. Pour it over the nuts and seeds and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and using the back of a spatula press it down into an even layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let it cool completely for 1 hour before cutting into pieces.
- Once cooled, transfer to a cutting board and cut into 8 energy bars.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.