With the warm summer months approaching, we’re all looking for chilly drinks and quick meal ideas that won’t keep us stuck in the kitchen heat for hours — and what’s better than the sauerkraut mango salad that can be prepared in under 25 minutes?
Scroll on to learn an easy recipe that combines the delicious flavors of fall and summer in a healthy salad!
Sauerkraut Mango Salad Ingredients
- Ripe mango (peeled and thinly sliced)
- Purple sauerkraut
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Green onion (thinly sliced)
- Loosely packed arugula
- Slivered almonds
For the dressing
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Lime (juiced)
- Agave nectar
- Teaspoon salt
- Teaspoon pepper
How To Make Sauerkraut Mango Salad
Step 1 – In a small bowl, add extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, agave, a pinch of salt, and freshly ground pepper to prepare the salad dressing.
Step 2 – Place the sauerkraut in a sieve and rinse it under cold water to dilute the salt. Remove the sauerkraut with a fork and press out the excess moisture.
Step 3 – Add the arugula, sliced mango, cilantro, green onion, and slivered almonds.
Pro Tip: You can replace arugula with kale or lettuce.
Step 4 – Pour the dressing over the sauerkraut salad and stir well to combine. Serve immediately.
Preparing the arugula and sauerkraut salad is a fun task with mouth-watering results, but is there a way to enhance and multiply the taste? Keep reading to find out!
What goes well with sauerkraut?
Sauerkraut has a distinctive salty and sour taste characterized by an acidic flavor. From improving digestion and boosting weight loss to reducing stress and contributing to stronger bones, the incredible benefits of sauerkraut make it the perfect addition to a nutritious diet.
So why not enjoy the goodness of this value-packed edible by pairing sauerkraut with complementary foods that bring a twist to your breakfast, lunch, and dinner while beating your cravings and offering delectable meals?
Apart from the sauerkraut mango salad, we’ve put together a few other ideas that go well with the delectable taste of this fermented cabbage.
- Wraps. Layer sauerkraut in your sandwiches or wraps to make breakfast or lunch much more appetizing.
- Tray bakes. Lay out your favorite vegetables in a baking tray with sauerkraut and top them with fresh herbs, olive oil, and salt. Bake and serve.
- Soup. Add vegetables, white beans and sauerkraut to your soup mix.
Sauerkraut Benefits For Skin
Embracing the sourness of sauerkraut — whether through the cabbage mango salad or any other kraut dish — will bring amazing benefits to your skin.
- The high Vitamin A content slows down wrinkling and aging, keeping your skin in a more youthful state for longer.
- The sulfur in sauerkraut helps fight acne and provides a flawless, healthy skin texture.
- The probiotics encourage friendly flora growth in the gut, which, in turn, facilitates better nutrient delivery to your skin.
Sauerkraut recipes are only limited by your imagination. Once you enter your kitchen, you have the freedom to play around with different ingredients to prepare something that pleases your taste and positively adds to your health. You can either keep things simple with the quick and easy vegan sauerkraut mango salad or spice things up by preparing something fancier like Bavarian sauerkraut. Whatever you try, we guarantee you’ll absolutely love the taste!
Sauerkraut mango salad
For the salad
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3,5 oz purple sauerkraut (about 100 gr)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups arugula
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- In a small bowl, combine extra virgin olive oil, lime juice , agave a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Put the sauerkraut in a sieve, give it a quick rinse under cold water to dilute the salt, and then squeeze dry.
- Sauerkraut should be separated with a fork and placed in a large serving bowl.
- Add the arugula, sliced mango, cilantro, green onion and slivered almonds.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine. Enjoy!