Most people love getting Thai takeout because its savory taste is unlike any other cuisine. Pad Thai is a popular staple in many such restaurants because it is the perfect combination of carbs and greens.
However, traditional pad thai is loaded with calories, so you can’t have it every other day. In addition, it’s also not suitable for vegans, which is why it’s high time for a healthier, greener alternative — raw vegan pad thai with zucchini noodles!
Curious about what the perfect raw pad thai recipe is? Let’s dive in!
Raw Pad Thai Ingredients
This raw vegan pad thai is loaded with beneficial nutrients and boasts a much lower calorie count than traditional pad thai, which is why this is a must-try for Thai food lovers who want to stay fit and healthy.
Below we’ve rounded up a list of ingredients you’ll need for this recipe.
For Pad Thai:
- Medium zucchini, spiralized
- Finely shredded red cabbage
- Green onions, chopped
- Carrots, shredded
- Jalapeno, sliced
- Mung bean sprouts
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Crushed peanuts
- Lime wedges for garnish
Raw Pad Thai Dressing
Ingredients For Dressing:
- Creamy peanut butter
- Lime juice
- Ground ginger
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Maple syrup
The dressing is made so that the creamy taste of the peanut butter combines with the tang of the lime juice and the sweetness of the maple syrup to create a wholly satisfying taste that will perfectly complement the zucchini noodles.
You can use almond butter instead of peanut butter if you wish. However, you will need to thin the sauce with some water if you plan on using almond butter.
How To Make Raw Pad Thai With Zucchini Noodles
So, how do we make this raw vegan pad thai? Let’s find out.
- Before beginning, prepare all your vegetables in a separate bowl. Shred your carrots and red cabbage, chop the green onions, peanuts and cilantro and slice the jalapenos.
- Once that’s done, grab your medium-sized zucchini and spiralize it using a spiralizer.
Pro Tip: Don’t skin it before spiralizing because the noodles might end up getting soggy that way.
- Place all the prepared ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Make sure you have enough space to toss the ingredients.
- Mix the creamy peanut butter, lime juice, ground ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar and maple syrup for the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the prepared vegetables and zucchini noodles and toss to mix.
- Sprinkle the chopped peanuts, cilantro, and mung bean sprouts on the prepared dish.
- Place lime wedges on the side to garnish.
- Serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is vegan pad thai so healthy?
Vegan pad thai is so healthy because it gives you a boost of energy while being low on calories. The zucchini noodles decrease the carbohydrate content in this dish, and the vegetables give this vegan pad thai its nutritional value. The carrots, cabbage, zucchini and green onions are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and fiber. All of these things improve the overall health of the body, especially the skin and digestive system.
Can you spiral zucchini without a spiralizer?
There’s no need to worry if you don’t have a spiralizer at home. You can use a vegetable peeler instead! Just use light pressure on the sides of the zucchini while peeling it with a vegetable peeler, and you’ll end up with noodles that kind of look like fettuccine.
How to meal prep and store this raw pad thai salad?
The great thing about this raw pad thai salad is that you can make it ahead of time and store it for later. Just peel the zucchini using a spiralizer or vegetable peeler and set aside. Line a glass or plastic container with a paper towel and fill it with the zucchini noodles. You can use them to make this vegan pad thai for the next 3-4 days!
You can also store the prepared vegan pad thai in airtight containers in the fridge for 4-5 days as long as the sauce isn’t too watery. So, if you wish to meal-prep for the rest of the week, just place the pad thai in the fridge in containers of your preferred serving size and enjoy!
Are zucchini noodles healthy?
Zucchini noodles are extremely healthy because they’re very low on carbs, sugar and fats but are loaded with beneficial nutrients such as potassium, vitamin C, and calcium which help regulate the body’s immune system and make the bones and muscles stronger.
They’re a great alternative to traditional noodles because their water content makes zucchini noodles filling, while their calorie content makes sure that you stay fit and healthy.
Zucchini Benefits For Skin
Many people buy thousands of dollars worth of skincare products because they are not satisfied with the way their skin looks. However, what they do not realize is that their food intake plays a huge role in their skin health.
Our skin ages, wrinkles, and develops spots as we grow older. This is due to oxidation, which is a damaging process that occurs as we grow older. Zucchini is a veggie that is naturally loaded with antioxidants, which is why incorporating it into your routine can have a great effect on your skin’s smoothness and clarity.
Another reason our skin develops spots, discoloration and wrinkles is that it suffers a lot of UV damage when we go out in the sun. The nutrients in zucchini also protect against UV damage and help the skin stay healthy, hydrated and young.
The vitamin C in zucchini also helps repair the damaged layers of the skin and prevents oxidative damage from wreaking havoc on it.
Most people work long hours these days and do not have time to recreate complex recipes. What they’re looking for is a recipe that’s tasty, easy to make, low on calories and loaded with beneficial nutrients — and this raw vegan pad thai has all of these qualities. In fact, you can also store it for 4-5 days, so you don’t need to worry about your meals for the rest of the week! It’s also a great dish for when you have friends over or for a date night with your partner.
Ready to try this mouthwatering raw pad thai? Let us know how it turned out!
Raw vegan pad thai
For pad thai
- 2 medium zucchinis, spiralized
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp lime juice (1 lime juiced)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
For serving (optional)
- 1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts
- lime wedges for garnish
- Before beginning, prepare all of your ingredients. Slice the carrots, chop the green onions, red cabbage, cilantro, and peanuts. Spiralize the zucchini.
- Place spirallized zucchini, carrot, red cabbage and jalapeno in a large mixing bowl.
- To prepare the sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk together until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables and toss to combine.
- Garnish as desired. Serve immediately