Maintaining a healthy weight is a real struggle for many. Working out, controlling cravings, and eating healthy. Sounds extremely challenging, right? Not to forget, the long hours spent preparing diet-friendly food makes the process even more demanding. So why not look for an easy, clean, and quick option that keeps you full while serving as a low-calorie recipe — just like the raw carrot salad?
In this article, we will unfold a super fun raw carrot salad recipe that will make your healthy diet much more exciting and delicious. Scroll on to learn more!
What Is Raw Carrot Salad?
You’ve probably seen the raw carrot salad Tiktok trend multiple times, but what exactly is it, and how is it consumed for maximum benefits? This nutritious salad was originally developed by Dr Ray Peat as a food that would assist in supporting hormonal balance. The wonders done by raw carrots, including their high fiber content which binds excess estrogen and removes toxins, has brought the hashtag #rawcarrotsalad over 22 million views. “Carrots provide fiber, which is great for your gut — and your gut microbiome is a wonderful regulator of estrogen,” explains the culinary nutritionist Jackie Newgent from New York.
But does the raw carrot salad really live up to its hype of offering all the benefits with the super easy Tiktok recipe circulating around? Let’s find out.
Raw Carrot Salad Ingredients
The best part about the raw carrot salad is that it is made of simple ingredients that you will probably easily find at home. What’s more, you can always customize the recipe as per your taste and preferences by adding or subtracting any of the ingredients.
Below is a list of the basic items you will need to prepare the mouth-watering raw carrot salad Tiktok recipe.
- Carrots. Choose narrow carrots instead of thick winter carrots (they are a bit less sweet). Leave the skin unpeeled if it isn’t too thick for extra nutrients. Pro Tip: Choose some colorful carrot species if you want to make things more exciting.
- Sweetener. Any other vegan alternative, such as maple syrup, is a great choice.
- Herbs. Dill is a good option, but any other soft option like cilantro, parsley, or chives will do good.
- Apple cider vinegar. It will increase the germicidal effect of the fiber in carrots. Lemon juice, white or red vinegar can be used too.
- Unrefined oil, such as coconut, avocado, or olive oil, to reduce bacterial overgrowth in the gut.
- Sea salt to improve thyroid function and elevate the flavor.
- Add-ins. From raisins to raw apples and nuts, you can sprinkle anything to enhance the taste.
How To Make Raw Carrot Salad
The ingredients are straightforward, but the raw carrot salad recipe is even simpler! All you need is 15 minutes paired with the tips below to prepare your healthy and delicious salad.
- Step 1: Use a mandolin or peeler to ribbon the carrots lengthwise. You can shred the carrots in a food processor as well. Pro Tip: Give the ribbons an ice bath for curly tendrils.
- Step 2: Grab a mason jar to mix the dressing ingredients, including lemon juice, agave, carrots, dill, oil, and sea salt. Pro Tip: Add more or less agave according to the sweetness of the carrots. Toss and shake to emulsify the vinegar and oil.
- Step 3: Place the carrot ribbons in a serving bowl, followed by the dressing. Mix together to combine.
- Step 4: Top it with the add-ins and serve with extra pepper! Pro Tip: If you make the salad ahead of time, make sure to double-check the seasoning right before serving, as the flavor tends to change.
Raw Carrot Salad Benefits
While the raw carrot salad recipe is very fun and easy to prepare, what makes it even more special is the incredible benefits it offers. Being a cost-effective and clean edible, this vegetable salad will assist in maintaining a healthy gut and good diet — along with the many other advantages discussed below.
Raw Carrot Salad For Hormones
The hormone-related health benefits provided by the Tiktok recipe of the raw carrot salad are greatly related to the high fiber content of carrots. This nutrient produces antifungal and antibacterial substances in the gut that help prevent fungal and bacterial overgrowth and maintain good gut health — and this, then, relates to better hormonal balance.
By supporting the thyroid and liver while removing excess endotoxins and estrogen, consuming raw carrot salad daily can help with reducing problems like PMS, period pain, headaches, fatigue, acne, and breast tenderness.
Raw Carrot Salad For Estrogen Dominance
Estrogen dominance is an underlying reason for health issues like hormonal acne, PMS, fertility issues, erectile dysfunction, and gynecomastia. The unique indigestible fibers in raw carrots are known to eliminate excess estrogen from the body to prevent estrogen dominance.
Research has shown that raw carrots restrict the intestine from reabsorbing estrogen, allowing the liver to regulate metabolism more effectively. As such, consuming the raw carrot salad is a great way to balance the estrogen levels of your body.
Raw Carrot Salad For Skin
Consuming raw carrots doesn’t only benefit the internal health of your body but also brings visible benefits to your skin.
|Vitamins In Carrots||Benefits For Skin|
|Potassium (320 mg)||Hydrates and moisturizes skin|
|Vitamin A (509 mcg)||Anti-inflammatory properties that encourage tissue reconstruction|
|Carotenoids||Protect from UV rays and sunburn|
|Calcium (20.1mg) & Sodium (69 mg)||Treat pimples and acne|
|High fiber (1.7g)||Flushes out toxins to keep the skin glowing|
|Natural antiseptic||Kills germs and protects the skin from natural radicals|
|Vitamin E (0.4 mg)||Acts as a natural moisturizer|
|Vitamin C (3.6mg)||Serves as a “herbal healer” that evens the skin tone and gives a whitening effect|
Raw Carrot Salad For Better Digestion
Carrots contain vitamins that increase saliva and supply essential enzymes and vitamins that improve digestion. They do so by increasing the gut transit time, which allows more effective food breakdown in the gut.
Raw Carrot For Better Liver Health
Since around 70% of the hormonal conversion is done in the liver, it is considered to be an important gateway to balanced hormones and effective energy conversion. When chronic exposure to alcohol, toxins, medications, stress, caffeine, etc., overburden the liver, hormone conversion and detoxification becomes difficult.
This is where the raw carrot salad can help by assisting the liver in eliminating excess toxins and estrogen. Resultantly, the burden on the liver is reduced, and symptoms like PMS, low thyroid, fatigue, etc., are mitigated.
Raw Carrot Salad For Menopause
A natural reduction in progesterone production results in estrogen dominance, which eventually leads to perimenopause. Raw carrot salad is responsible for removing excess estrogen, so it is a helpful tool for menopause.
Tips To Follow
- Choose whole stalks (no baby carrots), raw (uncooked), and organic species to prevent any toxic pesticides.
- Keep the carrots unpeeled to preserve the extra nutrition packed in the skin (but don’t forget to rinse them thoroughly).
- For best results, prepare the salad right before you will consume it so it is fresh and crispy.
How To Serve The Raw Carrot Salad
For a complete, hearty meal, pair the raw carrot salad with fresh avocado slices, steamed rice, and chopped cashews or almonds, are perfect ideas to spice up the taste without putting in too much effort.
How Many Servings Does The Aforementioned Recipe Prepare?
Our raw carrot salad recipe will serve 2 people. If you’ve invited over your friends, multiply the ingredients to share the joy of this nutritious salad!
Tiktok has familiarized us with the scrumptious recipe and incredible benefits of the raw carrot salad, but what about the appropriate daily dosage, storage methods, potential side effects, and any other such ambiguities you might have? Below is a list of some frequently asked questions to help you out!
When to eat raw carrot salad?
The best time to eat the Tiktok raw carrot salad is before a heavy, dense meal. This is because the salad serves as an enzymic spark that lubricates your digestive path to assist heavier food in moving through the gut more smoothly.
Alternatively, you can have a full salad bowl on an empty stomach for breakfast to improve gastrointestinal absorption and keep you energetic till lunch. Mixing the salad with avocado, seeds, and herbs to consume it as a quick lunch will do great too.
Is raw carrot salad good for you?
Yes, raw carrot salad is good for both your body and your skin. It contains all the essential vitamins required to maintain a clean gut and healthy skin. Whether it's the high fiber content that removes surplus toxins and estrogen or the vitamin C content that promotes glowy skin, the raw carrot salad recipe on Tiktok is a great addition to your daily diet.
How to store raw carrot salad?
Raw carrot salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days. Due to its oil-based dressing and requirement of fresh carrots for a good taste, the salad cannot be stored in the freezer.
If you’re making the salad ahead of time, you can mix the dressing and store it in the fridge overnight. The carrots can also be ribboned and stored. Just make sure to toss and shake all the ingredients fully before serving.
Should I cook the carrots?
No. The carrots to be added to the raw carrot salad Tiktok recipe should be left uncooked to preserve the fibers responsible for removing excess estrogen and endotoxins. Additionally, cooked carrots release beta-carotene that will negatively impact the thyroid.
Are there any ingredient swaps for the raw carrot salad?
Yes. The super simple recipe can be made even simpler by offering alternatives to ingredients you can’t find at home. Olive oil, for example, can be replaced with grapeseed oil, lemon juice can work in place of vinegar, and cilantro can be used as an alternative to parsley.
Can I eat raw carrots every day?
Owing to the high nutrition of carrots, this vegetable is safe to be consumed every day. However, it is important to eat them in moderate amounts. 1 to 2 carrots per day is enough. A frequent dosage higher than this will result in a condition known as carotenemia, a yellowish discoloration of the skin caused because of the deposition of beta-carotene (a substance present in carrots). This change of color, which begins on thicker skin parts like soles, palms, knees, and elbows, is more visible in people with a lighter skin tone.
What are the side effects of eating raw carrot salad?
While raw carrot salad is a healthy, nutritious, and safe snack for most people, there are some potential side effects to be kept in mind.
- Allergic reactions for people who are hypersensitive to carrots. Eating raw carrot salad excessively can result in issues like skin rashes, and swelling.
- The high sugar content present in carrots may cause problems for people with diabetes.
- Changes in breast milk flavor.
Deciding, planning out, and preparing healthy meals every day is a tiring and demanding task, which makes dieting very exhausting. But with the delicious raw carrot salad, you don’t have to worry about the hassle of sparing an hour or two to prepare clean food for yourself. Just 15 minutes and 6 ingredients are all you’ll need to maintain a clean diet and a healthy lifestyle. So grab your serving bowls, tick off the ingredients mentioned in the aforementioned raw carrot salad recipe, and start preparing the scrumptious dish now! Don’t forget to share it with your friends and family, and update us in the comments below as to how you liked it.
Raw carrot salad
- 2 carrots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp chopped dill or parsley
- Start by washing the carrots. Then ribbon them using a mandolin or peeler and place in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil, vinegar, salt and toss to combine.
- Garnish with dill and sesame seeds.