Whether giving yourself an instant energy boost before a heavy workout, getting yourself started in the morning, grabbing an on-the-go lunch, satisfying your sweet tooth, or enhancing your sleep quality, smoothies are an all-in-one drink that keep you fulfilled and energetic. Why not multiply these benefits by transforming a simple milk and fruit smoothie into a creamy & healthy chocolate maca smoothie? Scroll on to learn more!
What Is Maca?
Maca is a root grown in South America and has been used by populations in Peru for centuries as food and medication. It is a nutrient-dense plant rich in fiber, protein, magnesium, and calcium. This cruciferous vegetable was traditionally consumed as an edible in the form of a fermented drink and a natural medicine to treat various respiratory conditions.
It has a slightly butterscotchy and nutty taste. Some testimonies have even suggested a slightly sweet, malt-like taste that binds perfectly with other naturally sweet foods like smoothies and oatmeal.
Maca Smoothie Benefits
Each ingredient of the chocolate maca smoothie is a nutrient boost that contributes to better health. Below we’ve broken up the ingredients with the benefits of each to convince you why this drink is a must-have in your daily routine.
- Uplifts mood and energy levels.
- Helps manage stress and depression.
- Relieves symptoms of menopause.
Raw Cacao Powder
- Provides high levels of antioxidants
- Prevents anemia by offering a high protein source.
- Acts as a natural mood elevator and anti-depressant.
- Improves blood flow to the heart and brain.
- Carries a high fiber content for improved digestion.
- Offers a good source of vitamin C to improve immune health.
- Betters metabolism with vitamin B6.
- Uses magnesium to improve blood sugar and blood pressure.
Frozen cauliflower rice
- Removes free radicals to prevent cancer.
- Fights inflammation.
- Aids in weight loss.
- Supports better cell growth.
Why Does This Maca Smoothie Recipe Work?
- Nutritious – The superfood maca and nutrient-rich cacao make this smoothie an incredible alternative to sugar-filled smoothies — with a mouthwatering taste that resembles the popular Erewhon maca bomb smoothie.
- Simple & Quick – For the days you don’t have time to prepare a time-consuming nutritious meal, the chocolate maca smoothie kicks in as a lifesaver — just blend, pour, and go!
- Diet Friendly – As a vegan and gluten-free option, the delicious maca smoothie can be enjoyed by everyone.
- Keeps the Appetite In Check – The maca smoothie recipe uses frozen cauliflower rice that enhances the drink's nutritional value and positively impacts blood sugar levels, all without altering the taste!
Maca Smoothie Ingredients
Getting late for an office meeting? Here’s a quick list of the ingredients you’ll need for a refreshing and energizing drink on a stressful morning.
- Frozen banana
- Frozen cauliflower rice
- Raw cacao powder
- Maca powder
- Almond milk
How To Make This Maca Smoothie
- Cut the banana into large pieces.
- Add the almond milk to a blender. This prevents the powder from sticking to the sides of the blender.
- Toss in the bananas, cinnamon, and cauliflower rice, followed by the maca and cacao powder. Pro Tip: Add 2 tbsp of protein powder for an extra protein boost.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour out into a tumbler, glass, or fancy jar. If the consistency is thick enough, top the drink with a teaspoon of raw cacao nibs.
- Sip and smile!
Yup, that’s how easy it is to prepare the best maca smoothie recipe!
Dive into the FAQ section below to ensure you’re fully reaping the benefits when creating magic in your kitchen with the maca bomb smoothie!
Why add maca to smoothies?
The energizing properties of maca make it a perfect addition to smoothies. As a rich source of vitamins B, C, & E, maca transforms smoothies into a drink that balances mood and hormones, increases stamina and energy, and offers skin-clarifying properties. What’s more, maca serves as an adaptogen, which means it balances the systems that promote hormones within your body.
Are there any negative side effects to maca?
When consumed in moderate doses, maca does not have any side effects.
However, since maca has an effect on hormones, it is recommended that people with thyroid problems should avoid consuming it. Similarly, anyone undergoing treatments, such as breast chemotherapy, should not consume it.
A few other side effects that have been reported by people consuming maca include:
- Feeling jittery. People report a feeling of excessive caffeine intake. This is mostly experienced by those who have just started consuming maca or intake too much at a time. The solution is to simply reduce the dosage.
- Insomnia. Maca is supposed to fight insomnia. In case you’re experiencing it otherwise, try consuming the powder (however you like) before 2 pm and reduce the dosage.
- Digestive issues. Some people have complained of slight cramping, an upset stomach after consuming maca. This is normally due to the starch content in raw maca. Therefore, we recommend people with sensitive digestive systems consume gelatinized maca instead.
- Acne. This is a temporary issue. Eventually, your body starts balancing its hormones, and the acne will then disappear.
Note: None of the aforementioned side effects have been proven by science. They are solely based on personal experiences reported by different individuals.
Is it OK to take maca powder every day?
Yes, taking maca powder daily is OK, but the dosage varies with your lifestyle. If you’re not involved in heavy activities, 6-9 grams per day is recommened.
Does maca affect testosterone?
Maca does not directly have an increasing effect on testosterone, but males consuming maca have stated an improvement in their overall endocrine system. This powder balances the hormonal levels in men, according to a study.
Does maca increase estrogen?
Research states that maca influences the production of estrogen. For women who are nearing the stage of menopause, estrogen levels vary strongly, resulting in various symptoms. A study has found that women taking tablets containing maca has significantly reduced their menopause symptoms, including night sweats and hot flashes.
Taking maca balances estrogen levels which, in turn, regulates body temperature, improves skin health and reduces the risk of anxiety.
Does Maca Have To Be Fresh?
The fresher, the better. Maca is normally harvested in the summer months of June to August and has a shelf life of around 2 years.
Types of Maca
The maca plant comes in 3 different types.
- Red maca – It is used to prevent and improve conditions such as circulatory issues, osteoporosis, adrenal fatigue, chronic inflammation, or hypoxia. Red maca is known to be most effective at enhancing female libido and fertility and strengthening bones.
- Yellow maca – This type is commonly consumed by children, men, and women to assist with an enhancement in energy levels. It is also known to improve metabolic function, enhance fertility and decrease stress-induced inflammation, and improve mood and mental health.
- Black maca – It is used to improve conditions like fatigue, brain fog, loss of coordination, and depression. It acts to regenerate brain function, enhance memory, and improve mental focus.
One sip into the chocolate maca smoothie, and you'll feel like you're in a chocolatey bliss! It tastes like a malt choco shake, with a flavor that is addictive and unique.
So what are you waiting for? Try out our recipe now and experience the joy yourself!
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/3 cup frozen cauliflower rice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp maca powder
- 3/4 cups almond milk
- Place all ingredients in a large high-powered blender and blend for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth. One teaspoon of cacao powder is a good place to start, but more can be added to taste. This recipe is enough for one smoothie. You can easily double the recipe to serve 2!