Munching on chips is a treat we all enjoy, but the unhealthy calories take a toll on our clean diet. The stress of messing up a balanced diet with a snack that unnecessarily adds to your calorie intake without providing much nutrition sparks feelings of guilt and unfulfillment. So why not replace your favorite snacks with a healthier alternative, such as the mouthwatering chickpea chips? Continue reading to learn more about this amazing recipe!
What Are Chickpea Chips?
Chickpea chips are vegan snacks that are gluten-free, egg-free, and packed with plant-based protein. They are crunchy, thin crackers prepared from besan flour or garbanzo flour.
The popular chickpea flour chips come with the same crisp and crunch of a chip but offer far more health benefits.
Ingredients For Chickpea Chips
The ingredients for chickpea chips are simple, nutritious, and readily available.
- Chickpea flour
- Olive oil
- Water (room temperature)
- Nutritional yeast
- Dry oregano
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
- Smoked paprika
How To Make Chickpea Chips
Whether you’re an amateur chef or a takeaway person, the easy chickpea chips recipe makes sure to give you an exciting cooking experience with yummy results that you’ll want to try over and over again.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F or 160°C and prepare your baking tray with a layer of parchment paper.
- Sift the flour with a fine sieve mesh to get rid of lumps.
- Knead the dough. Combine chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, dry oregano, sea salt, and smoked paprika. Start stirring with a spoon, and then use your hand to knead the dough into a ball.
Pro Tip: The dough should have a tough texture. If it is too dry, add a tablespoon of lukewarm water. If it is too wet, sprinkle in more chickpea flour.
- Roll the dough. Sprinkle a bit of chickpea powder onto a piece of parchment paper. Place the ball of dough you’ve kneaded and press it into a rough rectangular shape. Cover the dough with another parchment paper layer and roll it out to make it as thin as possible.
- Cut triangles. Peel off the top parchment paper layer. Cut the dough into triangular shapes with a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
- Bake. Slide the triangles onto the baking tray and place them in the oven for 10 minutes or until the sides become golden brown.
- Cool and enjoy. Once the chips have fully cooled on a cooling rack, it’s time to serve and enjoy them with your favorite sauces and salads!
Which Chickpea Flour For Chickpea Chips
These chips can be prepared with gram flour, besan flour, or garbanzo flour. All three are made from chickpeas. The difference is the varieties they have been milled from. What you need to remember is that each flour type has a different level of fiber and water absorption, so a few of the ingredients will have to be varied slightly.
All set to prepare the chickpea flour chips? Let’s learn a bit about their health benefits to double the excitement.
Are chickpea chips healthy?
Yes, chickpea chips are healthy and, in fact, a great alternative to the popular favorite store-bought chips. Every bite of the chickpea flour chips is loaded with high amounts of fiber and protein, says Jess DeGore, RD, CDCES, a dietitian from Pittsburgh. The best part is that the delicious flavor comes from healthy, natural ingredients and doesn’t rely on added sugars or artificial ingredients.
Chickpeas in themselves have multiple health benefits.
- Help reduce weight, as they are less energy-dense
- Lowers inflammation
- Stabilizes blood sugar levels
- Improves heart health
- Beneficial for digestion
Are chickpea chips better than potato chips?
Yes, chickpea chips are much better than potato chips — but how? Chickpea flour chips are lower in calories than potato chips, with comparatively less fat and sodium. They are a vegan, gluten-free, and clean alternative, making sure your late-night cravings and lunchtime snacks are filled with excitement and flavor.
What To Serve With Chickpea Chips
The scrumptious chickpea chips offer incredible versatility when it comes to deciding the options to serve them with. They can be consumed on their own as a spicy snack or combined with other delicious items. Hummus, for example, is a great complementary option with chickpea flour chips. The creamy texture of hummus with the crisp of chickpea chips makes the combination absolutely mouthwatering. Guacamole, salsa, and dill are a few other dips you can try. Pair these perfect legume-based crackers with absolutely any creamy dip on your mind!
Storing Chickpea Chips
Chickpea chips are best when consumed fresh on the same day they are made. However, if you’re batch preparing for a lunch or dinner you will be hosting, chickpea flour chips can definitely be prepared in advance. Just make sure to keep them in an airtight jar far from sunlight at room temperature.
You can also freeze the chickpea chips and thaw them at room temperature a day prior.
Balance the nutritious benefits of chickpeas and the strong craving for potato chips with the super delicious chickpea chips — all without raising your calorie intake. Be it a part of your on-the-go lunch, or a healthier late night snack, chickpea flour chips are all set to make your diet more fun!
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup water (room temperature)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 375F or 160 C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add in the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, dry oregano, sea salt, smoked paprika and mix together until well combined.
- Add olive oil to the dry ingredients and mix together. Add in the lukewarm water and kneed it until dough forms.
- Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll it out as thin as possible.
- Remove the top sheet of parchement paper and score into trinagles using a knife or a pizza cutter.
- Transfer to the baking tray and bake for 15 minutes until crispy.